Please note that the Trainee Corrections Officer selection process is NOT open for applications at this time. Please visit the following link to information on how to create a Job Search Agent so that you are notified via e-mail when Trainee Corrections Officer is open for application (http://www.careers.state.mn.us). Please note that your search should include the Posting type of “Job Classification Open for application” in the Job Grouping of “Corr Public Safety Legal”.
Salary Range: $14.27 per hour during the six-week Pre-Service Academy
(Please see Additional Salary Information below for a description of the progression from Trainee to Corrections Officer 2.)
Applicants who qualify will need to pass the REACT Video test, interview and background checks in order to be placed on the eligibility list for hire. If position is offered, you must also pass a pre-employment physical. Further information on this process is listed below.
Additional Salary Information:
Only if a position is offered will you be eligible to attend the 6-week training program. After the successful completion of the six-week training program as the Corrections Officer Trainee you will be appointed to a Corrections Officer 1 position with a salary range of $15.86 to $18.83 per hour ($33,116 to $39,317 per year). Employees who are appointed to Corrections Officer 1 will be eligible for promotion to Corrections Officer 2 after one-year with a salary range of $17.30 to $25.02 per hour ($36,122 to $52,242 per year).
Work Locations: Positions are located at Minnesota Correctional Facilities (MCF) located in Faribault, Lino Lakes (Twin Cities Suburbs-North), Moose Lake/Willow River, Oak Park Heights, Red Wing, Rush City, St. Cloud, Shakopee, Stillwater, and Togo.
Complete a six-week training program to learn to enforce facility rules and maintain security; supervise offenders in daily living routines; monitor movement and activities, including acting as a offender work crew supervisor; exercise disciplinary control over offenders; and write reports. The training includes a two-week academy program in St. Paul plus job location training.
Minimum Qualifications/Selection Process:
To qualify for further consideration and assessment, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age to work at an adult facility. Must be 21 years or older to work at a juvenile facility unless enrolled or have completed course work in a post-secondary education program to pursue a degree in behavioral science; AND
- Possess a high school diploma or GED; AND
- Possess a valid driver’s license (may be required for specific assignments); AND
- Be able to pass a criminal history background check, which will be conducted prior to hire. In order to pass, you must have successfully completed all sentencing and/or restitution requirements of law enforcement jurisdictions, including probation; AND
- Be able to possess a firearm.
In addition, you must possess one of the following in order to qualify:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university; OR
- Two year Associate’s degree in Corrections, Criminal Justice, Criminology, Law Enforcement, Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, or a related field; OR
- One year of full-time or full-time equivalent security experience in a correctional setting, such as a security hospital or state or county correctional facility; OR
- Successful completion of an internship in a Minnesota Correctional Facility in a related security area; OR
- Honorable discharge from active military duty or National Guard duty or current member in good standing with the National Guard; OR
- Three years of full-time equivalent work experience in any field of work.
REACT VIDEO TEST/INTERVIEW PROCESS: If you meet the above qualifications, you may apply for further consideration. The Department of Corrections (DOC) will notify you by e-mail (US mail if no e-mail available) with information on how to schedule an appointment to take the REACT test within a few days of this announcement closing. There is limited space available, and reservations for testing will be on a first come, first serve basis. You will be asked to verify that you meet the minimum qualifications at the time of the test.
The REACT test will be administered by the DOC at its Central Office location in St. Paul. The test is comprised of the following components: human relations (situational video), counting, reading and report writing. Please allow three (3) hours when taking the test.
If you pass all sections of the REACT test, you will be invited back to interview in St. Paul. Please ensure that your contact information (i.e. e-mail address, mailing address and home, cell and work phone numbers) is up-to-date so that we are able to contact you. Please note that criminal history and employment reference checks will be conducted on the successful candidates prior to an offer of employment. In addition, new employees will be fingerprinted by the DOC within the first 30 days of employment.
If a job offer is made, you must pass a physical examination which is based on the job responsibilities, a Tuberculosis (Mantoux) test, and a drug screen. For a copy of the Physical Demands Analysis, contact Jamie Niedzielski at (651) 361-7301 or email@example.com. In addition, an employee must receive a level 3 area exposure to Freeze+P (agency issued chemical irritant) which is a core training requirement of the DOC.
Link to Application Form